Sandford Orchards Devon Red Relish
Makes 3 to 4 small Kilner jars
- 80g raisins/sultanas
- 80ml malt vinegar
- 400ml Sandford Orchards Devon Red cider
- 400g banana shallots (6), finely chopped
- 375g eating apples (3), peeled, cored and finely diced
- 120g dark muscovado sugar
- ¼ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ heaped tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 4-5 rasps of nutmeg
- Place all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring to the boil and keep on a medium to high heat for the first 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so.
- Reduce the heat to medium and keep it bubbling away so that it starts to reduce. Keep stirring the relish every 5 minutes.
- The relish is ready when it goes darker in colour and the liquid evaporates. This should take about 45 -55 minutes. Allow the relish to cool. Serve in a pretty bowl or jar on a cheese board along with your favourite crackers.
Fuss Free tips!
- If the relish needs to reduce to a darker colour and there is no liquid left add a splash of hot water. If you wanted to make enough for just one event you could halve the recipe and it will cook in 30 minutes.
- If you wanted to store the relish for a longer period, follow your usual preserving methods or sterilize some jars by placing glass jars in an oven for 15 minutes at 150˚C/300˚F/Gas Mark 2 and boiling the lids in water. Place the relish in the jars whilst they are hot and place wax paper over the top.