- 115g Puy lentils, cooked as directed on the packet
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 170ml cider
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder, low salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium eggs
- 115ml natural yoghurt
- 115ml ricotta
- 4 tbsp Parmesan
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4.
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions on the packet.
- Prepare the vegetables by slicing the aubergine, peppers and onion.
- Fry the aubergine slices in olive oil until softened, then remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the peppers and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cider, tomato purée, cinnamon and half of the parsley, then stir in the cooked lentils.
- Sprinkle on the vegetable stock powder, simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste.
- For the topping, beat the eggs together with the yoghurt and ricotta and season to taste.
- Transfer the filling, excluding the aubergines, into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the remaining parsley and then place the slices of cooked aubergines to form a layer over the filling.
- Pour on the topping followed by an even sprinkling of the parmesan.
- Finally, grate a little nutmeg over the topping and put the dish in the oven to cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden.