- 500g mixed vegetables, cut into florets or batons
- 25g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 500ml dry cider
- 400g puff pastry
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the shallots until softened. Add the cider to the pan and bring gently to a boil. Put the vegetables in a steamer and steam over the cider until just cooked, but retaining a little crunch. Boil the cider mixture down until you are left with 100ml. Stir in 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper. Return the vegetables to the pan with the sauce.
- Roll out the pastry to approximately 5mm in thickness and cut out 4 pieces measuring 150mm by 80mm. Sprinkle the pastry pieces with the cheese and bake for 15–20 minutes at 200C/410F/gas mark 6. Remove the pastry from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing in half horizontally.
- Spoon the vegetables on top of the bottom layer of pastry adding some of the cream sauce. Use the remaining pastry with the cheese to place on top of the dish